Find and Evaluate Every Emergency Room Near You
To get the best care possible, your choice of emergency room matters. Look up hospitals ahead of time so you can evaluate where to go in an emergency. Get data on hospital quality measures, such as wait times, patient ratings and citations for emergency room violations. How We've Updated ER Inspector | Download ProPublica's Emergency Room Planning Toolkit | About This Data
If you are having a heart attack or life-threatening emergency, call 911.
Find Emergency Rooms Near You
For example: 874 State Street CT, 11216
Don’t see your ER? Find out why it might be missing.
ER Wait Times & Violations by State
For each state, we chart the average amount of time that patients wait in emergency rooms before they get sent home or are admitted to the hospital. We also include the percentage of hospitals that have been cited for at least one ER-related violation, as identified during the investigation of a complaint, since 2015. For every measure, lower numbers are better. Experts caution that very small differences between hospitals for a given measure are unlikely to correspond to noticeable differences in the real world.
- New Jersey 101.5: Wait times at NJ emergency rooms are trending downward
- La Noticia: ¿En qué hospitales de Carolina del Norte pasará más horas esperando en la sala de emergencia?
- Naple Daily News: Americans travel an average of 34 minutes to access medical services, study shows
- Nogales International: Mother complains of son’s long wait at emergency room
- Bossier Now: Willis Knighton ER Has a Longer Wait But Avoid Schumpert for a Broken Bone
- The News Journal: Study: Delaware leads nation in longest ER wait times
- Delaware Business Now: Report: Delaware ranks last among 50 states in emergency room wait times
- WNEM: Hospital wait times across the board in mid-Michigan
- KY3: Contact KY3 Investigates: Why ER wait times are so long
- Wilmington News Journal: CMH ER worth the (short) wait
- New Jersey 101.5: New Jersey’s emergency room wait times higher than average
- Victoria Advocate: The doctor will see you now
- WPMT FOX43: Urgency in the ER: How long are you waiting?
- NJ Spotlight: The List: Emergency Rooms with the Longest Waiting Times in New Jersey
- Santa Barbara Independent: Health Care Lands in the Emergency Room
- Florida Times-Union: Jacksonville ER patients wait 41 minutes on average; UF Health fifth highest in state
- Dover Post: Study shows Delaware has second-longest ER wait times in the country
- Mississippi News Now: Patients and doctors struggle with E-R wait times
- NBC Chicago: Tool Helps Determine Emergency Room Wait Times
- KSLA: How long are you waiting in the ER?
- Dayton Business Journal: Which Dayton-area hospital has the best ER wait time?
- Minneapolis/St. Paul Business Journal: The fastest and slowest Twin Cities emergency rooms
- Birmingham Business Journal: Let's take a closer look at wait times for Birmingham hospitals
- AL.com: Which Alabama hospitals have the shortest ER wait times? Search your city with new ProPublica app
- WAFF-TV: WAFF Investigates: E.R. wait times
- The Oklahoman: Oklahomans wait an average of 24 minutes in ER before seeing a doctor
- WTVD-TV: I-Team finds North Carolina has 4th longest wait times at the Emergency Room
- WTVM.com: E.R. wait time at NHRMC longer than state and national averages
- WTVM.com: Memphis hospitals above national average for ER wait times
- Birmingham Business Journal: Which Birmingham hospital has the best ER wait time?
- Business in Savannah: The feel-better business: Local urgent care industry sees growth
- New York Daily News: Patients at Weiler/Einstein Hospital are fed up with overcrowding and long waits in the Bronx facility's emergency room
- The Keene Sentinel: In-patients, out-patients, impatience: Admitted or not, wait times lag at Cheshire Medical emergency department
- The Dispatch: Study shows ER wait times of Thomasville, Lexington hospitals
- WFMY: New Data Shows Slow Wait Times At Triad Hospital ERs
- Winston-Salem Journal: Study finds long emergency department wait times in Triad hospitals
- News & Record: Study finds long emergency room wait times in Moses Cone, other area hospitals
- Utica Observer-Dispatch: Time matters at urgent care
- WRDW: On Your Side | Average ER Wait Times in the CSRA
- Portland Business Journal: Check out the longest and shortest ER wait times at Portland hospitals
- Denver Business Journal: Colorado tops nation for shortest ER wait times; here’s how your local hospital does
- Triad Business Journal: How long will you wait in Triad hospital ERs?
- Indianapolis Business Journal: Riley Hospital expands ER to handle more mainstream patients
- ABC Baltimore: Johns Hopkins Hospital aims to reduce ER wait times through telemedicine program
- Arkansas Online: White River Medical Center renovates emergency department
- FOX 4 Now: Hospital wait times in Southwest Florida
- Minneapolis/St. Paul Business Journal: Can't stop the rush: ER visits stubbornly grow
- First Coast News: ER wait times: What's causing the holdup?
- Public News Service: Doctors Say Some Patients Use Emergency Rooms for Follow-Up Care
- WPTV: Waiting times at area hospital Emergency Rooms all over the map
- WWL-TV: Ratings of area nursing homes fall with new rating system
- KrisTV.com: Patients, doctors weigh in on long wait times at local emergency rooms
- Daily Press: Hospitals struggle with overcrowded ERs
- The News Herald: ER wait times: Carolinas Medical Center-Blue Ridge fare well with state, nation averages
- The Spokesman-Review: Deaconess, Valley hospitals show emergency room wait times on billboards
- WACH: There's an app for that! Find out wait times for ER's across the Midlands
- FOX San Antonio: Shortest and Longest ER Wait Times in San Antonio
- KATU.com: ER wait times: Is the closest emergency room the fastest?
- Rhode Island Public Radio: Fatima Hospital Posts ER Wait Times
- KYForward.com: Kentucky’s Hospital Emergency Rooms: How do they rate and what does it mean for you?
- New York Daily News: EXCLUSIVE: Patients at Kings County Hospital Center emergency room wait nearly two hours before seeing a doctor, records show
- KVUE: Doctors: Emergency room wait times improving
- Great Falls Tribune: Benefis to partner with Sanford Health for ER services this fall
- Grand Forks Herald: Waiting at the ER: Altru reports longer than average waits, vows to do better
- Newsday: Site helps you cut down ER waiting time
- Syracuse.com: ER wait times decrease at some Central New York hospitals, get longer at others
- The State: Report compares ER wait times to get medication, see doctor and go home
- KLAS-TV: New App Tracks Emergency Room Waits
- KBZK: Study Shows Average Wait Time at Bozeman Deaconess Emergency Room
- Bangor Daily News: How long will you wait at your local ER? Maine hospitals meet national average, new data show
- KAJ18.com: Waiting time data released for some Montana emergency departments
- KMSP-TV: WAIT WATCHER: Which ER in Minnesota will see you fastest?
“Average time” refers to the median wait time (the midpoint of all patients' wait times). References to “doctor or medical practitioner” indicate a doctor, nurse practitioner or physician's assistant. CMS reports the CT scan quality measure as the percentage of patients who received a scan within 45 minutes. We have reversed that measure so that all measures follow a “lower is better” pattern.
All data comes from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Detailed quality measures at the hospital, state and national level were last updated September 2019. Most data was collected between October 2017 and October 2018. Data on ER-related violations is from January 2015 to June 2019.
Don’t See Your ER?
In some cases we aren’t able to identify the exact location of a hospital, so it doesn’t appear on our mapped search results. However, it may still be in our database – try looking for it in the list of hospitals on each state's page.
In other cases, the hospital is missing from our database because it doesn't have an emergency department.
In other cases, the hospital is missing from the federal government’s Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) data. There are a couple of reasons why a hospital isn’t included in CMS data: it may not participate in Medicare, or it may share a certification number with another hospital (common across large hospital systems).
If you notice a hospital missing from our database, please first check if you can find it on CMS' website, and that it is listed as having an ER. If so, please email us with the hospital name and address.