ER Wait Watcher
Heading to the emergency room? You may wait a while before a doctor or other treating professional sees you — and the hospital nearest to you might not be the one that sees you the fastest. Use this tool to look up average ER wait times, as reported by hospitals to the federal government, as well as the time it takes to get there in current traffic, as reported by Google. Find out more »
Find Emergency Rooms Near You
For example: 874 State Street CT, Chicago, 11216
Important Note on Hospital Location
Our location data comes from Google Maps. If you think a hospital is missing or in the wrong place, let us know.
State-by-State Waiting Times
For each state, we chart the time, on average, that patients wait in emergency rooms before one of four outcomes: they see a doctor, they get sent home, they’re given pain medications for a broken bone, or they are admitted to the hospital. For each measure, lower numbers are better. Experts caution that very small differences between hospitals for a given measure are unlikely to correspond to noticeable differences in the real world.
- The News Journal: Study: Delaware leads nation in longest ER wait times
- Delaware Business Now: Report: Delaware ranks last among 50 states in emergency room wait times
- KY3: Contact KY3 Investigates: Why ER wait times are so long
- WNEM: Hospital wait times across the board in mid-Michigan
- Wilmington News Journal: CMH ER worth the (short) wait
- New Jersey 101.5: New Jersey’s emergency room wait times higher than average
- Victoria Advocate: The doctor will see you now
- NJ Spotlight: The List: Emergency Rooms with the Longest Waiting Times in New Jersey
- WPMT FOX43: Urgency in the ER: How long are you waiting?
- Santa Barbara Independent: Health Care Lands in the Emergency Room
- Florida Times-Union: Jacksonville ER patients wait 41 minutes on average; UF Health fifth highest in state
- Dover Post: Study shows Delaware has second-longest ER wait times in the country
- Mississippi News Now: Patients and doctors struggle with E-R wait times
- NBC Chicago: Tool Helps Determine Emergency Room Wait Times
- KSLA: How long are you waiting in the ER?
- Dayton Business Journal: Which Dayton-area hospital has the best ER wait time?
- Birmingham Business Journal: Let's take a closer look at wait times for Birmingham hospitals
- Minneapolis/St. Paul Business Journal: The fastest and slowest Twin Cities emergency rooms
- AL.com: Which Alabama hospitals have the shortest ER wait times? Search your city with new ProPublica app
- WAFF-TV: WAFF Investigates: E.R. wait times
- The Oklahoman: Oklahomans wait an average of 24 minutes in ER before seeing a doctor
- WTVD-TV: I-Team finds North Carolina has 4th longest wait times at the Emergency Room
- WTVM.com: Memphis hospitals above national average for ER wait times
- Birmingham Business Journal: Which Birmingham hospital has the best ER wait time?
- WTVM.com: E.R. wait time at NHRMC longer than state and national averages
- Business in Savannah: The feel-better business: Local urgent care industry sees growth
- New York Daily News: Patients at Weiler/Einstein Hospital are fed up with overcrowding and long waits in the Bronx facility's emergency room
- Portland Business Journal: Check out the longest and shortest ER wait times at Portland hospitals
- The Spokesman-Review: Deaconess, Valley hospitals show emergency room wait times on billboards
- FOX San Antonio: Shortest and Longest ER Wait Times in San Antonio
- The News Herald: ER wait times: Carolinas Medical Center-Blue Ridge fare well with state, nation averages
- KATU.com: ER wait times: Is the closest emergency room the fastest?
- Rhode Island Public Radio: Fatima Hospital Posts ER Wait Times
- KYForward.com: Kentucky’s Hospital Emergency Rooms: How do they rate and what does it mean for you?
- New York Daily News: EXCLUSIVE: Patients at Kings County Hospital Center emergency room wait nearly two hours before seeing a doctor, records show
- KVUE: Doctors: Emergency room wait times improving
- Daily Press: Hospitals struggle with overcrowded ERs
- KrisTV.com: Patients, doctors weigh in on long wait times at local emergency rooms
- WWL-TV: Ratings of area nursing homes fall with new rating system
- WPTV: Waiting times at area hospital Emergency Rooms all over the map
- Great Falls Tribune: Benefis to partner with Sanford Health for ER services this fall
- Grand Forks Herald: Waiting at the ER: Altru reports longer than average waits, vows to do better
- Newsday: Site helps you cut down ER waiting time
- Public News Service: Doctors Say Some Patients Use Emergency Rooms for Follow-Up Care
- WACH: There's an app for that! Find out wait times for ER's across the Midlands
- First Coast News: ER wait times: What's causing the holdup?
- Minneapolis/St. Paul Business Journal: Can't stop the rush: ER visits stubbornly grow
- FOX 4 Now: Hospital wait times in Southwest Florida
- Arkansas Online: White River Medical Center renovates emergency department
- ABC Baltimore: Johns Hopkins Hospital aims to reduce ER wait times through telemedicine program
- Indianapolis Business Journal: Riley Hospital expands ER to handle more mainstream patients
- Triad Business Journal: How long will you wait in Triad hospital ERs?
- Denver Business Journal: Colorado tops nation for shortest ER wait times; here’s how your local hospital does
- Syracuse.com: ER wait times decrease at some Central New York hospitals, get longer at others
- The State: Report compares ER wait times to get medication, see doctor and go home
- KLAS-TV: New App Tracks Emergency Room Waits
- KBZK: Study Shows Average Wait Time at Bozeman Deaconess Emergency Room
- Bangor Daily News: How long will you wait at your local ER? Maine hospitals meet national average, new data show
- KAJ18.com: Waiting time data released for some Montana emergency departments
- KMSP-TV: WAIT WATCHER: Which ER in Minnesota will see you fastest?
Notes: "Average time" refers to the median waiting time (the midpoint of all patients' waiting times). References to "doctor" indicate a doctor, nurse practitioner or physician assistant. CMS reports the CT scan quality measure as the percentage of patients who received a scan within 45 minutes. We have reversed that measure so that all measures follow a "lower is better" pattern.