A User’s Guide to Democracy
Congress Works for You.
Here’s How to Be a Better Boss.
Welcome to the User’s Guide to Democracy! After a hard-fought campaign season, members of the 116th Congress have begun a new session, swearing to govern a divided nation. Now comes the work of hiring staff, getting a committee assignment or two, and working on legislation and policy (and trying to end the government shutdown).
But what really goes on in the halls of the Capitol? Will anything change with this new class? And what can you do to hold them accountable to what they promised on the campaign trail?
We sat down with experts on Congress and asked all our questions about how things really work. Then we got rid of the jargon, and used what we learned to help you become a more informed, more engaged citizen. Sign up now, and we’ll deliver that info in a series of personalized emails.
Start by looking up your district:
Find your congressional district by address
What you'll get:
- Insights on what your representatives are doing and saying
- Tools for tracking legislation on issues that matter most to you
- Info on which industries and interests are funding your reps
- An understanding of what lobbyist are (and aren’t) allowed to do
- Advice on making your voice heard — and moving lawmakers on issues you care about